
(not me)
Since arriving in Denali, I have quite literally fallen head over heels for trail running. What I've come to love about running up here is never dreading lacing up my shoes & instead finding my sometimes burnt out passion newly refreshed. From road to trails, all it took was a change of scenery.
There is something very energizing about running where it makes much more sense to walk. My favorite trail begins just a half mile from the lodge - the Oxbow. It loops & twists through trees, the trail narrowing and then widening again, opening up to gorgeous views of the Nenana river. The trouble with running amdist beautiful scenery is that even just one second of lost concentration can result in a trip and tumble on one of the many roots jutting out of the ground.
I'm certainly not at my most glamorous while trail running - aside from yelling "Hey Bear!" every 20 seconds, I have taken quite a few falls since I started running the trail. (Note to Mom: the "Hey Bear" is just to let bears know I am coming in the rare event that they are back there. I am not greeting the bears along the trail. It's very rare to see wildlife on this particular trail.) Usually my falls result in my laughing out loud at myself (again, I'm sure I would be a sight if anyone saw me) and popping back up to continue my run. On Saturday I didn't exactly pop back up - luckily Justin was there to help me back up. With my head down and my legs covered in mud, some scratches and a bruised up knee, I hobbled back to the lodge. The trail had obviously won that day.
Regardless of the falls, I don't think I'll have any trouble mustering the motivation to get back on the trails - the beauty of the scenery and the captivating quietness are enough to make anyone fall in love with trail running.

La Fuma Sky Race Trail Running Shoes
I ordered some new trail running shoes on www.theclymb.com, an awesome site that sells cheap hiking, camping, and general outdoor gear. Justin and I have grown fond of the "cheap gear" websites and are anticipating the arrival of some much-needed gear for backcountry camping. Another great site we've used is sierratradingpost.com
If you've got any more sites, we'd love to hear about them!
Peace out rainbow trouts,
Jenny
No comments:
Post a Comment